Friday, October 13, 2006

Putting Baseball in Perspective


82-72 career record.

4.57 career ERA.

Looking at the stats you have to say that the pitcher has had a relatively good career. His record is about .500 and his ERA is average. An average pitcher, which is good, considering how many below average pitchers there are in this country.

1 wife.

1 six year old son.

2 parents.

1 twin brother.

Those stats however are what stick out and mean more when it comes to the story of Yankees pitcher Cory Lidle. On a day when four baseball teams were gearing up for "important" games. On a day where Sportscenter was sure to be devoted to baseball coverage, leading up to the night's "big" games. On that day, everything was about Cory Lidle and rightfully so. Lidle, who was just 34 years old, died in a plane crash on Wedensday, October 10.

Lidle, whose son Chris turned six just three weeks ago, was flying his small plane, along with a flight instructor, along the East River in Manhattan. Something went wrong and Lidle ended up trying to avoid skyscraper apartment buildings and while trying to dodge one building, he ended up flying into the living room of a 4oth floor apartment.

CNN began their coverage of a plane crashing into a building as just another "Could it be terrorism?" story. I happened to flip by and seeing that a plane had hit a building, I decided to stop and watch. I kept the story on in the background as I did other things and after awhile began to get bored with it, it wasn't terrorism, it was just an accident. I didn't know the person, so why should I really care? I felt bad of course when I heard the pilot had died, but it didn't affect me much.

But right before heading out to class I heard something that shocked me. The CNN commentator said that the plane was owned by New York Yankees' pitcher Cory Lidle, and that it is believed he was in the plane when it crashed into the building. Now the story had a face. I could not believe what I had just heard. This was a guy that I cheered against just a few days before, rooted on the Tigers to put on some more runs, off of Lidle. This was a guy who I have watched pitch many times, against the Red Sox and other teams. While I still don't know him personally, somehow a name you know makes the story more real.

I feel so bad for Cory's son Chris, who now will grow up without his dad. On Sportscenter last night, a report about the family said that Chris' first words after he heard about the crash were, "I know it had to be a malfunction. My dad is a good pilot." Its awful that this kid will have to grow up without the man he idolizes. Chris' mother, Melanie, now has to go on without her husband and I feel terrible about that.

We watch baseball with a passion. We love it, we idolize the players. But sometimes we have to realize that baseball really is just a game. Cory Lidle was a guy who saw that. He took time to raise money for charities, playing in and organizing poker tournaments for the Make-A-Wish foundation. He was just a normal guy who happened to be a good pitcher and that was his attitude.

Alan Schwartz, a baseball writer who had become friendly with Lidle over the years, talked to people at Amsterdam Billiards, a place Schwartz had recommended Lidle should go to play pool. Lidle did go often and the manager said that Cory was just like one of the guys. He was willing to talk about his job as a pitcher and he never ignored anyone who wanted to talk to him or asked for an autograph.

Lidle was truly a great guy. He will be missed by many.

No comments: